Thread: Meg White
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Meg White

The White Stripes are one of the most influential rock bands of the past 10 years, and I think deservedly so. I find them a hugely refreshing break from the copycat, over-produced sounds that have been coming from the "industry" in the Auto-Tune era. Sometimes I want to hear the raw, gut-bucket, garage sound. Their appeal is like punk's appeal in a lot of ways; in a lot of ways, punk and garage rock are about the band sounding kind of crappy. Meg is simple and sloppy and it is part of the sound of the band, and I like it.

My favorite musicians - the ones I would consider influences - generally fall in the "highly-skilled" category. But music is an emotional art form and an outlet for expression for a broad spectrum of feelings. It serves different purposes at different times. And sometimes, the music the White Stripes make is just what I need. As musicians who tend to hone our craft, this is sometimes a bit harder for us to come to grips with, I think. I mean, I don't think I could play loose and sloppy and feel good about it, ever. But I like to listen to music that has those characteristics, sometimes.