View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Make it hard for their customers, the customers will avoid the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
An excellent idea, and they could even co-op with other non-competing companies (such as Sabian, Vic Firth, etc.)

The problem is of course, where do they set up such a showroom? How many would they have to set-up to accommodate enough people to make it worthwhile?

This is why there is a network of dealers, so that each company doesn't have to have a dedicated presence in every major market.

But I like the concept, and artists in the area could stop in and do demos, clinics, talk about the product. I'd be on board if Ludwig, Sabian, Evans or Vic Firth did that here in L.A.

Bermuda
This has been done in other industries: Dell computers, Shaw flooring and Sears.
I don't know if Dell still operates this way, Shaw (the largest flooring manufacture in the USA) failed miserably and Sears thrives. I am not convinced this model would work for instruments. A brand specific store front is costly and would compete with it's bread and butter dealers. Shaw tried it nation wide. We threw them out because it did not make good business sense to compete with a supplier.