View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Make it hard for their customers, the customers will avoid the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
If I want a snare throw, a cast hoop, or a lug for my vintage Gretsch kit, I don't go to GC or Sam Ash.
I look to a net store that specializes in this gear. I also look on eBay for used parts.

If I want calfskin heads, I go to a net store and I buy direct.

You, I, and discerning drummers know what we want and need. We also know where to get it.
Of course. I don't expect the box stores to have that kind of stuff.

What I'm talking about is not being able to find enough Gibraltar rods or nice wires or a pair of hoops or a 6.5x14 generic bag for the used snare I just picked up. Those aren't specialty or vintage or obscure items, they're stock items. And this wasn't a one-time occurrence, it's happened enough times that I eventually ordered a bunch of rods, washers, wires, and at least one set of hoops for 13 & 14" snares, in 8 & 10 lug configurations. Don't get me started on trying to find Holz rings there.

How silly and costly that I need to keep new parts on hand because I can't rely on Guitar Center to have them.

Then again, you should see my parts drawers/containers/boxes/cases. It's amazing I need to leave the house at all. :)

Bermuda