View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Make it hard for their customers, the customers will avoid the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Most of the percussion dept. staff in these chain stores is geared toward knowing how to assist the beginner and the parents of beginners.
I notice that they seem to have that down pretty good.
That's fine, but at the same time GC wonders why the pros aren't shopping there!

We all know the answers to help bring in more paying customers, but it requires some expenditures. It means hiring experienced salespeople (more money,) or at least giving proper training to those who are new. It means bringing in product that will bring in pros; better head selection, better cymbal selection, better bag/case selection, more parts. It means bringing in those things that we go to the other store for.

With more experienced people behind the counter, drummers will want to spend more time there. I'm certainly guilty of wandering into my favorite drum shops to say hi to the people I know there, and in poking around, often find something I need or want. There was a time (20 years ago) when Guitar Center used to be an actual 'hang', and I'd go in just to visit and occasionally buy something I wasn't even looking for. Compare that to now, where if I go in with a specific need like hoops, wires and rods for a used snare I just got from ebay, more often than not, they don't have what I need. More often than not, I can't even get 16 of the same rods!

So, I suppose I can understand if corporate doesn't want to create an atmosphere where people are just hanging around, but they're also failed to create a place where somebody can get what they need, even half the time. Seriously, I've been in the local GC - and it's a big one - maybe 10 times the first half of the year, and have made only one purchase. Ironically, it wasn't even for me... it was an instruction book for my nephew.

Bermuda