View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Make it hard for their customers, the customers will avoid the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
But, don’t you think that the chain stores are still stocking their shelves and offering selections like it was still 1985, where the stores also controlled what new products you were able to see?
Absolutely, and that's the problem!

But consider also that there are many more brands and products available now than there were 25 years ago. Sure there were djembes, but not the plethora of styles and sources that we see now. Same for tambourines, cowbells, drumheads, specialty cymbals, percussive noisemakes from at least 3 major manufacturers, pedals, etc. Add to that the expansion of Pearl, Yamaha, Tama and DW as drummakers, the introduction of brands like Mapex, OCDP and ddrum, the rebirth of Ludwig, and several new retail-based custom brands like GMS, Spaun, Pork Pie, and SJC.

No, a chain store can't really carry everything, but as the selection increases, the stores have managed to stay the same, which in effect means they're going backwards.

There was a time when I could find a lot of stuff at Guitar Center. I bought kits there, heads, sticks, parts, hardware, etc because they carried a larger percentage of what was available. Now they represent only a small portion in their stores, and their business has declined accordingly (and I'm not talking about the current economic slide which made things even worse.)

Buying Musician's Friend was a smart idea, as there's a fairly wide range of products available through them and no doubt helped overall sales. But not everything should be purchased online. How does one know what a pedal feels like, or how a cymbal sounds or plays, or what a new size stick feels like, without hearing and touching it in person?

And that's where I have a problem with the box stores: they had the capablity to stock a wide variety and selection of product... but didn't. With the economy today, it's a tall order to ask them to change, but what was the excuse 5, 10, or 20 years ago?

I can sort of forgive independent drum shops for not having a lot of stuff, although they make for a better shopping experience than the box stores. But what was the excuse for the corporate giant Guitar Center during their heyday?

Bermuda