View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:39 AM
PRO Drum Tech

Default Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruManiac19
Hey Steve.
i know its your job and you HAVE TO get the job done. but i always wondered
1)how techs get all the angles on all the drums ,cymbals, hardware, etc., perfect. How long did it take you to get everything perfect night after night.?
2)Did Tommy want anything specific when you started teching for him.?
3)And do you tune the drums using a drum- dial or just by Ear?
Thanks.
Hey bro, those are some good questions... I had to rack my brain a bit to remember back to when I started with T. In answer to your questions:
1) I orginally got all the right angles by having Tommy sit down at the kit(we were on a rental kit for all the publicity dates[12/04-1/05]) and get everything in a comfortable place. I measured the height of all the cymbals, toms, etc. from the ground to the titler or rim. All the settings were secured with memory locks at every adjustment. When we were getting ready to start the tour(1/05), I designed the "Red, White & Chrome" kit based around these measurements. I used the same method building the "Dog In A Blender" kit. As far as getting everything completely dialed in every show- it took at least a good two weeks worth of shows to get everything the way he liked it without any incidents... It was pretty stressful early on.
2) Tommy is very specific when it comes to placement of everything on the kit as well as all the electronics settings. He is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the latest samples and was very involved when we were creating the ddrum sounds for the main kit as well as the flying techno kit.
3) I tune his kit by ear in the arena that they'll be played in to hear the ambient sound of the drum before it's sent through the mics. In the early days of my career, before working with Motley, I did use a Drum Dial/Tension Watch... It was an invaluable tool for me to aid in learning all the different frequencies produced by each drum. It also helps in getting the head "true" provided that it's been seated properly on the bearing edge. I'm sure there's a thread on this site discussing various tuning methods, so I'll just say it's a great learning tool, but should not become a crutch... your ears will tell you... Thanks for the questions...

As side note: Tommy and the rest of Mötley Crüe were honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last week in Los Angeles. You can see pics at Tommy's site-http://www.tommylee.tv
STB Site

Last edited by El Steevo; 02-02-2006 at 11:58 AM.