View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The price of concert tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
What happens when prices are high and expectations aren't met:
Guns N' Roses began their set almost an hour late ... "The sound of booing echoed through the arena," recalled a fan, "but it was suddenly drowned out as the lights went down." Yet many of the band's critics were persistent. "We want Slash!" they yelled, referring to the band's former guitarist. The boos went on. And plastic bottles were thrown at the stage.

Twenty minutes into the set, Rose gave an ultimatum. "Here's the deal," he said. "One more bottle and we go home. It's up to you. We would like to stay. We want to stay. We want to have some fun." But some fans weren't impressed. The bottling continued. Rose walked off.

After that, the house lights went up and down, with promoters and security sending mixed messages about whether the concert would continue. "We're trying hard to get Axl to come back on stage," an organiser announced. "I will ask you to refrain from throwing items. I promise you a great show, but you need to be calm." The gig's promoters later issued a statement, saying they "prevented [Axl] from leaving the venue". At 11:20 pm – about an hour after they had left the stage – Guns N' Roses returned and completed their set.

The concert was apparently pretty good. Or at least, everyone but Axl was pretty good. "Guns rocked Dublin last night, but we could've done without the Rose," explained a fan. But this was of little consolation to those who had already left the O2, thinking the concert over; public transport had stopped for the night and ticket-holders were reportedly barred from re-entering the arena.
Full article in today's The Guardian.

I don't go to big gigs any more. I hate crowds and I find it's more of an experience to be close up when seeing local bands. I want to be close enough to see the sweat forming on the drummer.
I'm with you, Pol. I'd rather lay down $25 to see a local singer-songwriter.

GnR got bad revues here to, as also is the Dukes of September, which I am going to see tonight. It's outdoors and we're expecting a hurricane. The concert is rain or shine, so it looks like I'll be losing some money.

The bands that I have seen this summer were actually all quite good. The Doobie Brothers and Asia each played about five new tunes off their latest album. CSN did a bunch of covers for their next album, which is going to be a bunch of classic rock covers. Foreigner is really a kick ass band and although probably the band I would least want to see, they were the best band I've heard in a while.

When I was a kid, I would get my allowance of 50 cents on Sunday. All the kids would go down to the candy store where you would get 5 boxes of candy for 25 cents. Today, in some of the quickie marts you can spend 1.29 for a candy bar and $2.00 for a bottle of soda. Inflation is a crazy game.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 09-04-2010 at 06:46 AM.