View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The price of concert tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You nailed a part of it. With record sales down, and people only buying singles for 99 cents, bands have become a lot more savvy on the road, charging more for tickets, and coming up with elaborate packages (ticket + shirt+meet and greet for a price) to make up for lost revenue.

The other aspect is insurance for a tour has gone up astronomically over the years.
And higher gas prices do factor in, especially on a big tour that might have 10-20 trucks, and 5 to 10 buses.

It is sick. In 1986, I paid $16 to see Rush, and this last tour was $170 + surcharges for good seats.

Even with all the higher costs associated with touring, it's hard to believe tickets have gone up by such a large margin.

The wife and I were looking at going to see Fleetwood Mac a year or two ago, and face value of a ticket was $250 each. We stayed home. I've not gone to many shows I would have liked to have because the ticket prices were just to high.

When the Police came to Los Angeles for their reunion tour, tickets started at $200. Why??

In two weeks I'm going to see Katatonia. They are coming all the way from Sweden. Tickets are $15. Much better value.

I was looking at an old NY Times and concert tickets were $8.50 for a concert in 1978. If you look at those old Filmore posters, the tickets are about $3.50. If you saw Rush in 1986 for $16, it would seem that ticket prices double every ten years. An average cost today is about $65.00.

About ten or so years ago I stopped going to a lot of high-end concerts because of the ticketmaster fees. When they got to be 30%, I stopped buying. On your $65.00 ticket, that's $20 -25 in fees.

Entertainment is not cheap, and living in NY it can be very costly. You might spend $170 for Fleetwood Mac; but if you go to see a well-known artist at the Blue Note its $50 a set plus minimum. If you stay for both sets, like I do since I am traveling 2 hours, you're going to spend the same $170. Ironically, CSN charged $300 a few years back when they were at the Garden. I saw them for $10. Everyone's got their price. :D