View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The price of concert tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
So...from what I gather from the responses is either it's market demand (charge high and see if they'll buy) or it's fuel, insurances and the cost of doing business.

I've always wondered who sets the prices, the promoter or the band. I imagined the band charging a flat rate fee for a show and the promoter adjusts ticket prices to cover all expenses. Or does the bands' share of earnings fluctuate from venue to venue?
Major rock bands specifically.
From what I've read, it's a bit of a mix. The band (or more specifically their management) sets the price, and income does fluctuate from night to night, although there is often a minimal guarantee to the band members.

But other times, the promoter will offer a big name band a guarantee of $Xmillion for a tour, and then after that, it's up to the promoter to make back that money, plus. I've also seen it at the club level, where a booking agent will offer a fixed rate for a night, and it's up to the agent to make back that money off the ticket price, although that's on a one night basis, not a whole tour.