View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Getting funded by a record label

You're right Drummingman, we are all trying to tell you why you probably won't be able to pull off what you want to, in the way you want to do it.

Why? It's not that we want to see you fail. Not at all. But if someone is adamant about walking through Hell in a gasoline suit, then naturally we are going to try and talk you out of it, that's all. You are our drumming brother and we don't want to misinform you.

Don't you think that if it could be done that way someone would already be doing it? There's nothing new under the sun. You are discounting everyones experiences who has come before you, pretty arrogant. Look at everyone else's experiences, they have to count for something, right? Listen to what pros like Matt are telling you. You aren't the first person who has come up with this kind of plan. Where are the sucessful models you can point to? Can you name anyone who has done it your way? (Frank Sinatra did it his way lol)

What you are proposing is akin to climbing Mt. Everest without gear. While we are all saying that it probably can't be done, you choose to defy conventional wisdom, on the snowballs chance in Hell that you can go where no man has gone before.

I would venture to guess that the music business has probably the lowest success rate of all the businesses, and that's assuming that you have to go down the debt road. You want to take the very hardest business to succeed in, hamstring yourself by thinking you can finance it yourself, from nothing, and want our encoragement. Can you really blame us for seeing the faults in your logic?

If your son or daughter wanted to do the same thing as you, would you encourage that lunacy?

It's clear that no one will be on your side on this subject. Best to accept the fact that anytime you try to get encouragement with this particular plan, you will meet with at least the same amount of resistance as you're getting here. You said you know you have a lot of hard work ahead. I don't think you have the first clue what you will be encountering.

I'm wondering if you ever plan on having kids...They probably won't fit well in your plan.