View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Getting funded by a record label

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I advise getting some reading material about the business, there are lots of good books out there; as others have said, your understanding of the realities seems a little sketchy at the moment.

Remember that advance payments to artists come in different forms, most importantly recoupable and non-recoupable. If your band gets given a non-recoupable advance then it's happy days - that payment is essentially a grant which is not to be paid back. However, whether you get this kind of payment depends on your potential selling power.

Get good before worrying about advances.

Get some touring together before courting labels. They will want to see a strong fan base. Touring can be done on a shoe string, be prepared to sleep in vans though!
I will admit that there is a lot that i dont understand. If i have to go into debt, if that is the only way, to make it work then that is what i have to do. Im just really tying to avoid that.

I am reading a really good book called tour smart that has a lot of good info in it that i like. And i hope to read more books over the course of this year and a half (im sure i will always be reading to get a better understanding of things that i need to get better at).

I am ready to sleep in a van and on floors to make this thing happen. I want to tour and get out on the road. There are just some things that i have to take care of before i can do that.

Last edited by drummingman; 08-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.