View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Getting funded by a record label

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
We could go round in circle forever and I have very little interest in 'drumming' (excuse the pun) how the World works...

I recall your Christian Metal Band thing and I too thought that was madnes but hey ho, it's down to you...........

if you do ever get on this tour with no money please share how you did it because you'll become the musical equivilant of Bill Gates

Prime example here yourself

You'll need to grease the right palms in order to do that mate............so save even more dollars for that mate.........

Many years ago a certain band called Def Leppard wanted 12 thousand pounds from a support band to open for them!!!!! Yep that's right they weren't paying the support band, the record label had to pay Def Leppard!!!!!! it didn't happen by the way..........

Your forgetting the biggest point of all................heard the term 'The Music Business', recall the last word there.................'Business'..............ever yone wants their coin or they wont get out of bed........

The music business is even more ruthless now, what with piracy etc most bands are living on the bread line...........fast forward twenty years they'll be no rock stars in Beverly Hills, very few anyhow

Goole an artist called Imogean Heap I think is her name............she has sold out venues here in Aus and the UK etc and couldn't afford to tour Europe...........it would have cost her twenty thousand pounds up front.............can you save that?

She couldn't................tickets for her tour were $38 or something after promoters, venue hire etc she was left with $16 of that ticket price to pay crew and her band, transport, hotels the list goes on...................Sold Out Tour and she's losing money...........

The cost of recording an album with a named producer, releasing singles, filming videos, getting airplay, promotional tours...........all this isn't just with money it's woth contacts, contacts you wont have..........

Get your calculator out mate because as far as I am aware you haven't even got a band together so why bother with this..............you haven't even got other band members on the same page as you..............

Fast foward six months ask your guitarist who works at subway how much money he can get together?

Unless you can get together $100k plus don't even waste your time............
I still disagree with you that a Christain metal band cant be hugely successful.

I dont understand why it is so hard for people to understand that it is a building process. And as the band starts to make more money that will open more doors and contacts for us. We wont be starting out with a million dollors. We have to build up to that point.

Of couse its a business. But there are different ways to do business. All business is not done in the same way. There are ways to do things that a lot of epople dont do them that need to be explored.

I know Imogean Heap. i know that she has done well thus far. I think that if she keeps building it up she will get to where she can tour europe at some point. It may take some time but it can happen.

The thought of forming my own label is looking more interesting to me at this point.