View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: World Hunger and the 40 Hour Famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty View Post
I feel pretty strongly about world issues such as poverty and hunger, to the point where I think about it pretty much all day.
Well, I was 17 once, and that was 36 years ago, and things haven't changed all that much. The third world is still ... the third world. And all the billions of dollars we've spent on "saving" the third world ... it's like shovelling sand against the ocean ... the end results ... over time ... is pretty much nil.
Quote:
Personally, I think the western/developed world has had it way too good for the past century or so (maybe not as long for black/indigenous people or women), and for the world to go forward, our lifestyle has to go backwards.
Which is why we're faced "right now" with a global economic depression.
Quote:
All the time I think, why do we have so much money and food (among many other things), when so many people are suffering right now.
For one thing, food is power. In a lot of countries, hunger and famine are used as weapons. One side need not use guns to kill the other side, they merely starve them to death. Control the food, and you control who lives, and who dies.
Quote:
Over one billion people are under the poverty line, living on under US$1 a day.
Well, I live under the poverty line. Last year, I made $9K .... when the average US (family) income is $50K. Being a cripple ... great hours ... but not real good pay.
Quote:
It makes me sad and frustrated when I see people with cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and houses worth millions.
For a lot of those people, however, money won't buy them happiness. And they won't even be able to rent it.
Quote:
Don't these people care?
Quite frankly, a whole lot of them don't.
Quote:
What do you think about these issues, and what are you doing to help out?
Well, one of the best calls I ever made (back around 1974, when I was 17), was I made up my mind to never have kids. I saw where the world was headed (which is right where we are today), and I made a choice to not pass it on (to anyone I'm related to, anyways). What other people do, is what other people do. Out of my control. Most everything is.
Quote:
I know things like the global financial crisis has made it harder for those in a lot of developed nations, but remember, it has hit the developing and under-developed world much harder.
And so now, we see a big power shift happenning. China, for the first time ever, bought more cars than the US. They "are" the next big consumer nation. India hot on their heels. With over a billion in population each, more power to them. The next 10, 20, 30 years ... are going to be interesting.