View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What sustains a bands popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBillfold View Post
I've seen Rush at least once on every tour since 2112. They were always headlining, although maybe they weren't for the entire tour, but I'd see them headlining at a 17,000 seat arena for those pre-Moving Pictures tours. What happened with them, though, was that initially they appealed to a cult audience--the progressive rock audience (which I was and still am a part of)--they had type (3) success from my post above; they were very skilled in a genre that had a built in cult audience, who would basically support anyone very skilled in the genre. They also had "musician's musician" appeal.

Then they started moving into a more commercial direction--and they subsequently started getting some type (1) success instead, while alienating a good portion of their previous cult audience. That type (1) success brings more money in the short term, but suddenly you've got "fashion" fans (and some holdovers from the cult audience, like me, who like a very wide variety of music, including commercial stuff), and the fashion fans aren't going to stick around forever. So by the Hold Your Fire tour, they were starting to see serious attrition, and they had to try to appeal to the cult audiences more again, which after a couple speed bumps, they've pretty successfully done.
Yes, you are correct they started playing bigger places after 2112, and started touring arenas on their own prior to Moving Pictures. I know they opened for KISS a lot in the 70's, and had my dates mixed up.

But the other point remains, the "keyboard" albums sold better out of the gate.
Rush had never had a platinum album until 1981.

Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows all went Platinum in the year they were released.

I just thought it was odd in the movie, they make it sound like Rush lost a ton of fans during that time period, when record sales show the opposite, that they gained a ton of fans that more than offset the fans they lost, which lead to huge spikes in sales of their prior albums, as all the new fans became fans of the their older stuff.

I was just at their show last week. I was very surprised by the teenagers who knew every word to every song from all of the older material as well as the newer material.

And BTW, I'm jealous you got to see then so far back!!!!