View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: What sustains a bands popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not to get off topic, but the funny thing they didn't mention in the movie was those albums sold better than all their previous albums, save Moving pictures.

Prior to Moving Pictures, their albums went gold, and Rush was mostly an opening act. MP went multi-platinum they started headlining stadiums.
I've seen Rush at least once on every tour since 2112. They were always headlining, although maybe they weren't for the entire tour, but I'd see them headlining at a 17,000 seat arena for those pre-Moving Pictures tours. What happened with them, though, was that initially they appealed to a cult audience--the progressive rock audience (which I was and still am a part of)--they had type (3) success from my post above; they were very skilled in a genre that had a built in cult audience, who would basically support anyone very skilled in the genre. They also had "musician's musician" appeal.

Then they started moving into a more commercial direction--and they subsequently started getting some type (1) success instead, while alienating a good portion of their previous cult audience. That type (1) success brings more money in the short term, but suddenly you've got "fashion" fans (and some holdovers from the cult audience, like me, who like a very wide variety of music, including commercial stuff), and the fashion fans aren't going to stick around forever. So by the Hold Your Fire tour, they were starting to see serious attrition, and they had to try to appeal to the cult audiences more again, which after a couple speed bumps, they've pretty successfully done.