View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What sustains a bands popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
We have all seen how a band will be the big thing for a little while and then fade away into obscurity. But then there are other bands that are able to remain true to their musical vision and they stay on top forever (i happen to think of metallica and tool for instance).

What is it that allows one band to be popular for years and years through album after album while others just pop up and are big and then just fade away? I ask this again with the mindset of a band maintaing their musicial vision and not just changing to suit the needs of the fickle public.
I think somewhere along the line, they acquired a rabid fan base, because they're true to their vision. I just got done watching that Rush video "Beyond the Lighted Stage" and it seems like that's what they've done. Kiss, Metallica, Tool, they've all done the same thing because let's face it, you don't hear their songs on the radio much. Oingo Boingo had very rabid fans throughout their career with limited airplay. That's the only thing I can think of. They presented a true musical vision and their fans picked up on it and stuck with them, converting others to the cause. I have no other theories.