Thread: Ringo Starr
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Regardless if anyone thinks Ringo is the best ever or worst, the fact remains he was the guy the BAND wanted to drum for them.

Most rock drummers at the time were converted jazz drummers, and so many rock tunes of the late 50's and early 60's had this implied jazz feel. I often think John, Paul and George picked Ringo because he did NOT have that implied jazz feel, rather he could play things very straight to suite their song writing at the time.

And from there, the rest is history.
You're also forgetting that Ringo was an established drummer in Liverpool before he joined The Beatles. People/Haters ignorantly seem to think he was just a random unknown drummer who got lucky. He was in Rory Storm + The Hurricanes which was the top band in Liverpool before The Beatles made it big.

Here's some nice quotes...

Mike McCartney -- "There were quite a few drummers around Liverpool and I used to go home and tell Paul about Ringo. I often saw him play with Rory Storm. ...With Rory he was a very inventive drummer. He goes around the drums like crazy. He doesn't just hit them -- he invents sounds." (1983 interview for The Beatles: A Celebration by Geoffrey Guilliano, 1992)

"Ringo was a star in his own right in Liverpool before we even met. He was a professional drummer who sang and performed and had Ringo Star-time and he was in one of the top groups in Britain but especially in Liverpool before we even had a drummer. So Ringo's talent would have come out one way or the other as something or other." -John Lennon, Playboy 1980 Interview

I also find it sad how metal heads here on drummerworld say he's not technically good. I recently watched this documentary on the making of John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, in which Ringo plays drums for, and Klaus Voormann was saying how all the greatest drummers he knows like Jim Keltner "love Ringo". All the big names in drumming like Steve Gadd and Charlie Watts have all praised his talents, yet ignorant people here say he's not technically good because he doesn't play flashy.