View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tactful corrections of band members

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Halfway through the recording of 'Thriller' the Sony Music execs realized they were sitting on a gold mine and started to ride Quincy Jones about the arrangements.
When one of them asked him why there was " all this empty space" in the opening groove of Billie Jean, Quincy replied " I'm leaving a little room for God" .
I once had a producer who was into the "less is more" idea use "Billie Jean" versus the 9/8 section of "Scatterbrain" as a hopeful example--I guess he was banking on me thinking that "Billie Jean" sounds better, so he played both and asked.

I said, "'Billie Jean' might be impressive in terms of production, but 'Scatterbrain' sounds far better to me overall--I mean, that's a monster groove, that whole song just kicks ass. It's your responsibility to make this 'Scatterbrain'-type stuff that we're playing sound as good production-wise as 'Billie Jean'". We didn't really get along that well with that producer, lol. I'm not sure how we ended up with him, because I don't think he was into the kind of music we were doing.