View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Canning a guitar player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
i feel sorry for his girlfriend. he doesn't have a job other than playing, but he isn't very good so he makes very little money. he's basically living off her.

to give you an idea of how bad he is, he introduced the aerosmith song "dream on" to the band telling us that was something he's played since he was a kid. he couldn't play it! he'd constantly screw up the intro, as well as the guitar interlude later in the song. you'd think that'd bother him and that he'd want to practice until he could play it. nope! he never worked on it and screwed it up badly at all gigs we played with him. it was such a relief to get rid of him!
Tragic. One day that guy is going to wake up and realise that he's been a clown. Poor bastard. Worse still, one day his g/f will really see him for what he is (a guy who's wasting his and her life) and then he'll be in deep doo-doo lol

Cest la vie.

Can't say I'm a fan of the schadenfreude in this thread, although I can understand it when someone's been a jerk.

Never sacked a band member before but in the 80s we should have picked up a new singer (why just can guitarists?).

People would often say after gigs how good and tight the band was but they'd never talk about the singer. He'd turn up late for everything and would sweet-talk everyone and provide free smoke to keep us from throttling him. We were fools to keep him on because he was always dragging the chain, but we were young ...

To be really frank, if the guitarist and bassist picked up a good new singer and drummer they could have done plenty; they were more precise players than I ever was. Bizarrely, when I left they had the chance to upgrade and somehow ended up with a sloppy overplayer who made me sound like Steve Gadd lol. Go figure. They broke up soon afterwards.