View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Dealing with inferiority complex...

You've deviated way off course when you go down this path of thought. I've found - still do - there's usually something else at the root of these feelings. You may feel the same way about other things, no?

The first and best thing to do is hang with another drummer, be it a teacher or just another guy who plays. Preferably someone more experienced (and advanced) and go over this and get it out of your system.

When I walked into PIT many years ago to begin my studies (the old building on Hollywood Blvd.), I remember it like a bad dream: As I walked up that steep flight of stairs to the iron gate, I could hear a guy in a lab down the hall absolutely killing it. I felt like having a panic attack right then and there. But I said, "No, I didn't travel all the way here to be a wimp; I came here to play like that!"

And it wasn't easy, trust me. I was used to kudos from all the guys I played with back home on the bar circuit; I got to L.A. and realized all of that was nonsense. What helps is that most guys who are where you want to get now know what you're feeling and know the cure: play, play, and then play some more.

It's a mind game; it's your mind. Do with it what you will but play through it if it's about making music and not something else. You may find playing isn't your thing. I know plenty of guys who walked away from it and were very talented, but they simply lost the passion. Make sure you still have that first, or you really are wasting your time aspiring to a level you'll never reach without it. It's cool to play recreationally too. Figure out which way you want to go first. It may take time, but you'll know at some point whether you're really in it for the music or something else if you pay attention; the feelings of inferiority will vanish when you do.

All the best to you!