Thread: My new toy.
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: My new toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The year that I graduated from high school in 1975, I bought a 1962 Ford Econoline van and I rebuilt the engine.
I did up the interior as a camper. Kind of, LOL! I was 19 years old.
I drove it from Connecticut to Anchorage Alaska.
I spent that summer working in a restaurant and also as a fishing guide of all things. I hunt but I don't fish!!! Many funny memories!
Have fun, I did!
Change out the dates and locations and that story reminds me of an old buddy of mine, he ended up with his van (actually, my high school band's van he bought out from us), in the Queen Charlotte Islands off the coast of BC, part time short order cook, part time canoe / kayak tour guide... he had never really even been on the water much, let alone becoming a tour guide in a place he had only lived in for a few weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Back in 2001, after my then band fell apart, my girlfriend (now wife) did our own cross country tour, sleeping in the back of my van.

Very fun times.
I've had such a blast touring with bands, but the part that sometimes sucks is not getting to hang out somewhere for more than a day, I figure this will be like touring without the hassle of having to load gear, setup / tear down and leave early the next morning. Looking forward to the fun times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
That's a huge beast, Jer. Parking must be ... interesting.

Alas I'm not much help 'cos I don't have a driveway. I park my old Corolla out on the road under the gum trees so the sap, leaves, twigs and possum crap fall on it continually.

So you're planning on touring Oz? How TF would you get that ginormous thing out here?? lol
I reckon we can flip her over... she should float! An ocean worthy vessel if I've ever laid eyes on one.

At just shy of 19' (5.8 metres), it will be an interesting challenge to find places to park, I've only had to park it twice so far, both times took more than one attempt... I've driven larger vans before so I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it soon enough, but yeah... we considered C classes, I'm so happy we didn't go that route!