View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

Speaking from a rock perspective, in the early 1990s the things that I thought were really hot were Primus and then The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I never was big on the Seattle seen, and really stopped listening to rock by the early 1990s.

From a selling point, it was Mariah Carey and then Celine Dion who were the big sellers, and Dianne Warren who wrote so many top 40 hits. By and large it was the women's movement, Sarah Mclachlan and Lilith Fair that it was making it happen. When I look at the artists I liked in the 1990s: TLC, Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette, all women. Dudes weren't doing much but moaning and groaning about their awful lot in life. Many people say that is what led the way to the Disney revolution. No one wanted to hear everyone whine after a while. When you are a rich and famous rock star and you're still moaning and groaning, no one really wants to hear it.

Lady Gaga seems like an attention hound. perhaps she should go see a shrink and spare us all. Artists need to be open minded. But is there a point at which musicians just need to call it for what it is and be pissed that people are using this art form solely for that kind of self-glorification?