View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
We're certainly seeing signs of it. We're seeing few "big names" selling umpteen million copies of any one album, yet hundred upon hundreds of bands are able to sell a few thousand copies, and more underground genre's of music are getting small bits of mainstream recognition because it sells just enough to not be ignored.

I remember being 11 or so, and thinking Ozzy and Judas Priest were so extreme. Now, they get played on classic rock radio along side the The Beatles and the Stones, and I think nothing of letting my 3 yr old listen to them.
It's an interesting place to be in. You had that song I'm Yours by Jason Mraz, which was huge and holds the record for the most weeks spent at the the Top 100 with 76. Will you ever have another West Side Story, thriller or Beatles? It's hard to say. But i would think if someone had a huge amount of talent, they could take the world by storm.

You have bands going back to Dave Matthews, Radiohead, Dream Theater, Tool or Arcade Fire. That virtually came up on their own two feet. You see so many of these indie bands, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, and so many of these Brooklyn bands. I don't really listen to that music, and although they are right here near me, I never hear about them until they are big in London. lol

In the 1970s you had The Grateful Dead, The Band, King Crimson, Yes or Rush who were largely cult phenomena and remained as such. these notions of mainstream, indie, cult phenomena become so politicized. in the end, is the music any good?