View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
OMG, I knew some of the bands were waaay extreme but necklaces made from a suicidal singer's skull?? I'm wondering how much mental illness will be required in the future? Imagine if a band like that is considered ho hum! lol

As I said horror moves have gone the same way. What happens when screens are totally awash with violence and gore? My guess is the extremities will remain - once a standard is established then the barriers are down so they'll always be there. There will always be classical, jazz, C&W, folk, blues, rock'n'roll, psychedelic, RnB, soul, prog, hair metal, rap, shiny pop, techno, extreme metal ... just that each has faded - or will fade - slowly into minority interests as new stuff takes its place.

I can't even imagine where music will go from here ... apart from glossy mechanical pop, which will get ever more glossy and mechanical until the human element is negligible. There will always be retro/nostalgia movements too because each genre has intrinsic values that will always touch certain types of personalities.

There also seems to be a strong shift from the aural to the visual with the increased ease of home video production. Video is getting bigger and bigger. Pop fans increasingly want to "see" the music, to the point where bands are now putting how high production dance shows and mime to recordings.
Black Metal: yes, it's covered here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_m...in.27s_suicide
and if you get a chance to see this on late night cable, part of the film gets into this as well:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478209/

Yes, I do wonder where music will go. No one had heard of jazz at one point. We can pinpoint when rock and roll was invented. So from a historical perspective, it seems any day now something new will be invented that has nothing to do with rock and roll. Although some say rap/hip-hop was indeed that new invention.

As for "seeing music" I'm actually getting more fascinated by the idea. In the 80's and 90's, you couldn't make a music video without a huge budget, and even then, you weren't sure where it would get played. If you made a cheap video, you were probably going to get laughed at.

Then Youtube came along, and it became perfectly acceptable to make a music video using whatever cheap camera you have laying around. Quality was no longer a factor, because youtube is going to compress the hell out of the video file anyway.
I found this rather eye opening. And so my band made three videos, and all it cost me was $80 in video editing software.