View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
As has come up here and there in other threads, extreme metal is so extreme at this point, it's really a wonder how much further it can go. We already have black metal bands who've been to jail for burning churches, real blood on stage, playing to the point where it's getting tougher to distinguish one note from another, and one band's singer killed himself, and the remaining members made necklaces from his skull. Of course, much of this is still relatively out of the mainstream.
OMG, I knew some of the bands were waaay extreme but necklaces made from a suicidal singer's skull?? I'm wondering how much mental illness will be required in the future? Imagine if a band like that is considered ho hum! lol

As I said horror moves have gone the same way. What happens when screens are totally awash with violence and gore? My guess is the extremities will remain - once a standard is established then the barriers are down so they'll always be there. There will always be classical, jazz, C&W, folk, blues, rock'n'roll, psychedelic, RnB, soul, prog, hair metal, rap, shiny pop, techno, extreme metal ... just that each has faded - or will fade - slowly into minority interests as new stuff takes its place.

I can't even imagine where music will go from here ... apart from glossy mechanical pop, which will get ever more glossy and mechanical until the human element is negligible. There will always be retro/nostalgia movements too because each genre has intrinsic values that will always touch certain types of personalities.

There also seems to be a strong shift from the aural to the visual with the increased ease of home video production. Video is getting bigger and bigger. Pop fans increasingly want to "see" the music, to the point where bands are now putting how high production dance shows and mime to recordings.