View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

At the risk of dating myself I'll lay out Tommy’s gear of the years.... and Steve can tell me if I'm incorrect anywhere.....

Too Fast For Love Years 1981-1983

Drums- (unknown) Looks to be a Tama Model Imperial Star. If you notice one tom is so old... it doesn’t have a lower head or lugs!

Cymbals- Paiste

Sticks- some "local" music store model

Hardware- various brands...

Heads- Remo

Notes-- This was just about the time Tommy got signed, so he didn’t have any endorsements.... YET

Shout at the Devil Years 1983-1984

Drums- Started off with the kit from Too Fast for Love
Then used Tama for a short period.
Finally switched to Sonor drums

Cymbals- Paiste

Sticks- Some "local" music store model

Hardware- various and Sonor.

Heads- Remo

Notes- This was the first time the Paiste "RUDE" series of cymbal was used by Tommy. It also was the time when Tommy began his relationship with the German drum maker Sonor. I don’t think Sonor did any advertising with Tommy's name... At the time, some bigger metal acts were using Sonor... like Iron Maiden.

Theatre of Pain Years 1985-1986

Drums- Started off Sonar Drums
About ½ way through the tour he switched to Pearl

Cymbals- Paiste

Sticks- Vic Firth “Tommy Lee” Model

Hardware- Sonor, Pearl and DW pedals.

Heads- Remo

Notes- This was the first time the Paiste Color Sound 5 series of cymbal was used by Tommy. It also was the time when Tommy began his relationship with Vic Firth Drumsticks. Tommy also began using Simmons electronic pads with this kit. The sounds used were a Gong, orchestra hit, and a gunshot. LP also made a spot for Tommy in the 1986 catalog… for the “Snake Bell” cowbell. At this time, DW was making the pedals that Tommy used. They introduced the DW5000. This would be Tommy staple pedal for many years.

Girls, Girls, Girls Years 1987-1988

Drums- Pearl

Cymbals- Paiste

Hardware- Pearl and a custom Rack (the spinning one).

Heads- Remo

Notes- Tommy began to use D-Drum pads to trigger the sounds. Pearl also began to market their products using Tommy’s name.

Dr Feelgood /Decade of Decadence Years 1989-1992

Drums- DW

Cymbals- Paiste

Hardware- DW

Heads- Remo

Notes- At this time, Vic Firth started selling the “Tommy” Stick into the market place. It featured red print and a red nylon tip. They still sell this stick under the name “Metal N (CMN)”.

The Motley Crue Years (when Vince was out)- 1994-1996

Drums- DW

Cymbals- Paiste

Sticks- Ahead “Tommy Lee” Model

Hardware- DW

Heads- Remo

Notes- Tommy was one of the first people to start using the new AHEAD stick. They even did marketing with Tommy seen in a pile of broken wooden sticks.

The Generation Swine/ Greatest Hits Years 1997-1999

Drums- DW

Cymbals- Paiste

Hardware- DW

Heads- Aquarian

Notes- This tour feature a very cool drum set. Made to look like the mirror balls you would see at a disco-tec. This was also the time Tommy began endorsing the Aquarian line of drum heads. These heads were also sold to the public using Tommy’s name. This relationship was short lived.

The Red, White, and Crue Years 2004-???

Drums- DW

Cymbals- Zildjian

Hardware- DW

Heads- Remo

Notes- Steve has filled us in on this kit. One highlight is that Tommy ended a VERY long history with Paiste Cymbals. It was one of the only items Tommy has been using since the begining.

Well that’s the basics of the history of Tommy’s Drums…. Sorry if I bored ya!