View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

Hey, sorry Steely for not giving you the credit for pointing out that rock music is increasingly looking backwards at itself. Good observation.

The 'net - especially YouTube and MySpace - does raise my hopes that the power of the industry will be reduced. However, I've seen more and more high quality clips appearing on Youtube, headed by advertising. Again, corporations are using their advantage of high quality production.

I hate how we've become so hung up on production. Think of all those jazz recordings from the 30s right through to the 60s - Satchmo, Duke, Goodman, Bird, Miles, Trane etc. Or rock from the 60s - Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Janis, Doors, Floyd, Turtles. The production is total crap when compared with today's pop music but who cares? The music was FANTASTIC!

Yet plenty of younger people do care because their ears expect "better" - very discerning about the things that cost $$, so much so that it matters more to them than the things that money can't buy.

This is no criticism of any generation - people are just people, no matter what era they were raised in - but we can only respond to what we're exposed to. If most of what you hear is the soullessly perfect chunka chunka of a machine then it's not soulless to you, just usual.

So what do drummers like Elvin, Tony, Mitch and Keith sound like to younger people with their regular variations and low tech sound? Dull (not glossy), messy (not tidy like a machine) and weak (where's the dancey pulse?). How often do you hear drummers say that those guys were sloppy - as though standards have been raised. WTF? lol Today we'll hear players who are more precise, whose tempos are more even than those older guys but I don't think that in any way makes the new players any more satisfying.

We oldies are anachronisms but with an ageing society there's still plenty of us to maintain the demand for organic music - along with a surprising number of young 'uns who understand the vibe of retro music. As we oldies start falling off the perch the young retro fans will carry the torch into their middle age, but there will be an increasing army of virtual music fans also reaching middle age ... unless there's a big turnabout. I can't see it myself, but who can be sure what twists and turns the music scene will take?