View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Song lyrics and other cloaked references

Yeah, we all thought it was common knowlege that "You're So Vain" was about Warren Beatty. That's why I was very surprised about a year ago while watching a news special on TV where Carly Simon was saying to effect, "I never said it was about Warren Beatty...

Aparrently, during the time frame Carly wrote about, she had been dating Beatty, Mick Jagger and James Taylor, whom of course she eventually married. She held a private auction for charity, the winner getting the prize of Carly whispering in their ear the name. The winner (Warren Buffet was the winner, if I remember correctly) had to sign a disclaimer not to reveal.

During the report folks were going over lyrics looking for revealing clues:

"You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht, your hat strategically placed below one eye, your scarf it was apricot. You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte."

Gavotte is a sort of enthusiastic, straight or double time dance step, but with a slightly serious mood as discribed in the dictionary. Some were trying to hint / or just wonder if this was a veiled reference to Mick.

Carly would only reveal to the public that the first and last names of her "subject" contained the letters R and A. That doesn't help us, all three have that.

I was very surprised watching this, as I said earlier. I thought it was old news that this song was about Warren Beatty, but not so fast according to Carly Simon.

Last edited by Derek; 06-25-2010 at 06:39 PM.