View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: A Little bit of Theory

I'd like to say something very important about the "Learn First then Show Off" theory:

The choice to be flashy is yours, completely.

Anyone can choose to be flashy, stick tricks, crazy stage dives, whatever. But there is a tendency for certain types of people in certain bands in certain places to do the latter(Flashy) before the former(Skill).

But what I'm sure every single one of you will agree with me about is that the wise ones are the people who don't even think about the tricks until they have to face the reality of a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I would like to add a bit more to this thread.
A few months ago I was playing a show at a large club.
It came time for me to solo.
There were many people dancing on the floor.

When I started my solo I simply followed the groove of the people that I could see that were dancing.
I looked out into the crowd and I played a groove to the dancers.
I then began to go to my toms and snare while keeping aware of the audience at all times.
I let them tell me what to play. I played to what they were doing! That was the first time ever that I had done this! This was the first time that I had the audience in my hands so to speak. They were controlling what I played as I controlled what they did!

It was magic! A magic that I had never felt before or since. The moment was right I guess.

I hope that I explained that so all could understand what I mean? I wasn't imagining it, It was real.
Yes, That's precisely what I'd love to see and/or experience!

That is the total immersion into the music that I am aiming to get my crowds to experience, a musical "high"!

You said it felt wonderful, I'm sure it would feel wonderful to be in that situation.

Everyone, act jealous of Bob!