Thread: Bill Stewart
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Bill Stewart

I was lucky enough to see Bill a lot with Peter and usually Larry G or Sam Yahel on organ..It It was 10 BUCKS !!! to get in and I'd sit right up front and really get to check him out...Just about every week for quite a while it was Blade, Bill or Gregg Hutchinson...I miss those days...Kendrick is another monster...I've caught him only once so far but it was great...Marcus Gilmore probably my favorite new young guy if I had to name one person...He is playing at Smalls this Weds and Thurs night with Mark Turner and if you're not aware of this, they now have a live video feed so you can check it out from anywhere in the world...Enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromesteele View Post
This is true.

I have to say I prefer Marc Copland and Bill Carrothers on piano. Bill also made a great piano trio record with george colligan, who is terribly underrated in my opinion. Vincente Archer was on bass.

You also can't beat Bill Stewart with Peter Bernstein. The "Monk" album from 09 is really beautiful music and "Earth Tones" from the mid 90's is absolutely burning. It features Bernstein's tune "Metamorphosis," which Kendrick Scott covered on his album "Reverence" from last year.

Kendrick Scott is another drummer not to sleep on.