View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
Being someone which speed was never a strength, the reason I continue to search is the failure. After years of doing it one way and it not working, I now noticed that there are so many younger players playing much faster than even the speed demons did while I was growing up. I cannot help myself but want to try what they are doing.

That said, I will always be an experimental and feel based drummer. That is just my whole approach but I am open enough to see the musicality in what players like yourself are doing. I would just love to be able to pull out a a few measures of half the speed some of you all are doing for emphasis/energy sake.
Yeah I've had to do a lot of searching and re-learning as well, this stuff doesn't come naturally to all of us like it did for Derek. I did the whole 'do what my body wants to do' thing for a year or so and I nearly ended up injuring myself because I was doing it all so wrongly, I had to hit the forums and whatnot to figure out what I was doing wrong and re-learn a lot of things.

Tried and tested techniques are there so we learn from mistakes made previously, whats the harm in paying attention to them? There is definitely harm in spending too much time on them, but certainly no harm in investigating them and incorporating what you find to be useful and relevant to you.