Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

I love Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming. I have him with Sting, Herbie Hancock, and Alan Holdsworth. My dad even has him with Paul Anka. It's silly to say anyone is the best though. If you say that, you're turning music into a sport and a trade skill. It's not either of those. It is art. Musical art. Ability has no place here. Only creativity and sound. So to say someone doesn't understand Vinnie's drumming when it's not their cup of tea, is stupid. Music is not about understanding what someone is playing. If that were case drummer's like Virgil Donati, Dom Famularo, Marco Minneman, Jojo Mayer, and Thomas Lang would be at the top of the music world. They play the fastest, most complex things I have ever heard on the drumkit. But, Musicians avoid those drummers like the plague. When was the last time you heard about one of these guys playing a week at a famous club, or being on a great recording? You haven't, because music is not their priority. Drumming is. Playing 7 in one hand, 5 in the other and 32nd notes on the kick drums has no place in music. It doesn't matter.
I'm a student at Manhattan School Music. Where drummer's talk about music and people such as Adam Nussbaum, Jeff Watts, Steve Jordan, Brian Blade ,Bill Stewart, Gadd and Vinnie Colaiuta.
Still Vinnie is not the best. There is no best. If you think there is, you're not a musician and you don't get the art of music.