View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Led Zeppelin is Rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Yeah they put the spotlight on blues musicians but they kept the money, fame and adulation.

I grew up on Zep, idloizing them to the point of thinking they were something more than mere mortals. It really bothered me when I found out that they had to pay out of court settlements to Wille Dixon. If that isnt an admission of plaigarism then what is?
They only paid one settlement to Dixon, I thought. Because Plant copped the lyrics from his single "You Need Love" into "Whole Lotta Love" without acknowledging Dixon or paying him royalties. But the music of those two songs was very much different, so you cannot call it direct plagiarism. Here is a pretty objective take on the whole allegation of Zep's supposed plagiarism, with an excellent compilation of their true Blues influences at the bottom:

http://www.turnmeondeadman.com/index...d=19&Itemid=28

I agree with this guy's opinion on the matter. Page himself was an artist who dwelled in the outer stratosphere when compared to most rock writers/composers/producers. He was an artistic genius and he nor that band deserves to be slammed for being cheap thieves who deliberately ripped off some lowly Delta and Chicago Blues artists for profit. Copping blues standards was SOP in Britain during the 1960s - look at the Rolling Stones, John Mayall, Eric Clapton, etc. Plus, Zeps style of lulling you to sleep with light acoustical intros which up and kick you between the legs when they launch into guitar and matched bass riffs was more reminiscent of classical music than it was of any Willie Dixon or Sonny Boy Williamson 12 Bar Blues standard. It was also copied by most every famous rock act since, especially Aerosmith, Boston, and Heart. Everything in music gets copied, if you really look at it.

Last edited by Strangelove; 05-07-2010 at 08:11 AM.