Thread: Danny Carey
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Danny Carey

im hoping this is the right area to post this, but here we go anyway. i am currently writing a musicology essay for my degree, and am currently analyzing Lateralus by Tool. anyway it is far more complex than i imagined (stupid of me to imagine it wouldnt be i know), one of the key factors i am discussing is the use of the Fibonacci Sequence in different areas of the song.

When looking at the lyrics in the verses, the amount of syllables in each section corresponds to the sequence. In the first verse the syllables are as follows, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 13, 8, 5, 3. The missing numbers are immediately apparent, however these are redeemed in the second verse, where the syllables read, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 8, 5, 3, which completes the sequence.

At this point i would like to appolgyse to anyone who is confused, it weird stuff. Anyway i have heard rumors that Danny Carey used the Fibonacci Spiral concept in order to form his drum lines for this song, however i have no idea how or where, or even if it is true haha. i was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any idea, or maybe knew if there was notation for the track knocking round anywhere.

thanks a lot

rab