Thread: Travis Barker
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Okay, I read about half of the pages of this discussion and couldn't take it anymore, so please excuse me if I repeat someone else point of view, but someone has to adequately support and explain Travis Barker. I will attempt, and probably fail, to do so.

Technically speaking, he's good. He's not amazing. He's not a human Metal machine gun, he's not a crazy time signature playing jazz virtuoso, he's not a marching corps rudimentalist. But what he does, he does better than most, and in my opinion, he invented it. Pop/punk is a genre defined by bands like Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. Whether you like these bands is of no consequence to the discussion right now. My point is, Blink 182 is defined by Travis. Pop/punk, to a majority of the musician and nonmusician public, is defined by Blink 182. See where I'm going with this?

Vinnie Colaiuta is one of my favorite drummers, as is Dave Weckl. But they sound like each other. Sure there's a noticeable difference in playing styles, but you could imagine swapping Vinnie for Dave and vice versa and the song still working, sounding similar. What would Blink sound like with anyone but Travis? It would not be Blink.

What I'm trying to say is that few other drummers out there have so clearly and distinctly created their own sound that it polarizes the entire drumming community. He has more original style in 4 bars of a Blink 182 song than many drummers have in a whole album. That's why I like him.