Thread: Hip Hop?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Hip Hop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
I like Madlib's younger brother Oh No - Dr No's Oxperiment is a phenomenal listen especially his sample use.

?uesto - I take it you've heard Madvilliany? That is one hell of a collaboration..
Are you kidding me? Of course! Great album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFo View Post
And just for secondary conversation, what's your interpretation between the difference in hip-hop and rap?
Many people will give you many answers. I've debated this on other websites, and with other people, but I certainly don't have a set in stone definition for either. I could say that hip-hop is more music like The Roots, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, and then on to artists like Lupe Fiasco and Kid Cudi. Rap, on the other hand, seems more like Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, maybe Eminem... If you know most of these artists, you can tell the obvious difference.

Also, I know KRS-One said, "Rap is something you do.. Hip Hop is something you live." Many people like KRS will argue that "rap" is the music, "hip hop" is the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
And guys like Chris Dave with the Robert Glasper Trio interpret those beats and "samples" in such a great and unique way.

Karl
?uestlove said, in this month's Modern Drummer Magazine, (pick it up, if you haven't already), that there's nothing wrong with sampling, especially when done right, and in an effective, good sounding way. I'm not gonna tell you what else he says, but it was a very good read.