View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoJr48
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.
I started because during a sporting trip with my school to another country, I stayed at a guy's house who had and played a drumset. He goes on and plays the basic rock beat with some simple fills. Me having absolutely no experience whatsoever got on and played exactly what he did, and it just clicked in my mind that this was something I could do for the rest of my life. I was 12 back then, now I'm 15 gigging all over my city with classical, blues, jazz, psychedelia, punk, rock, and metal bands. Over these past 3 years I've started learning more and more from my favourite drummers, and my family and friends are all extremely supportive.

What always pushed me back when I was 12 to keep on truckin was watching other kids the same age as me completely rip on their sets, and I have many friends who I still look to for inspiration to practice.