View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pretentious music??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
You picked out the most pretension parts of even the latter Crimson, :)
hehehe ... maybe I have a nose for it?

Quote:
and yes coming to mind that Easy Money percussion interlude is fun. That band had something with Jamie Muir that they were unfortunately never able to fully realize. I think it came to pass in the 80s Crimson though that was more percussive and rhythmic.
True. Still, we have some great Jamie/Bill moments - Easy Money (the live version on USA didn't have the studio version's quirky charm), the start of Exiles, the middle section of LTIA Pt 1. As a naive young thing I was amazed at the range of strange sounds; it never occurred to me that they had a berserka improvising percussionist. It seemd like magic to me :)

I felt SABB was nowhere near as good. If not for Starless I'd say the same about Red, although it seems most critics and pundits think that was a highlight for them, I guess 'cos it was more RAWK N RAWWWWWL *sigh*

Quote:
Emerson's Tarkus was actually the subject of a concert in Japan where is was re-orchestrated for full orchestra.

The esteemed Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra will perform Keith Emerson's progressive rock composition "TARKUS" newly arranged to an orchestral piece by composer/arranger, Takashi Yoshimitsu....

his easy, tuneful style and sense of the capacities of different instruments, although critics complain that his work is simply a post-modern jumble with little coherent theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueQJgYgcqk
Interesting info re: Keith. A nicely pretentious commentary from him too :) I mean, wot da hell does he fink he is?? An artist or sumpin? Stuff that for a joke ... DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP! OI! OI! OI!

Post modern jumble? Idjuts. It was a flexible ooze of lovely timbres. Perfect chill music. What's the problem? ... the key phrase in your post is "critics complain". Yes, they do. They listen to so much music that they have chronic indigestion, so they find any musical morsel that's richer than a dry cracker "overblown".

Their attitudes remind me of Mr Creosote at 5 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Bs1ZZ-7b8 ... BTW, love the Noel Coward takeoff at the start :)