View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pretentious music??

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Blues came from the slaves who were kidnapped from Africa, and I would say that Blues and Jazz developed concurrently. The earliest known blues songs were in and around the turn of the century, and jazz, about the same time. Jazz was spauned in Nawlins, no? Blues first surfaced in the cotton fields of the Missippi Delta as field hollers, call and response type stuff.
Yes, jazz came from the Creole population in N'Awlins in a ward or burrough known as Storyville, in the late 1800s. Creoles were not the ex-slaves like the African Americans in Mississippi that started the Blues. Creoles were middle class citizens of New Orleans who arrived there via Haiti courtesy of the French, before Louisiana belonged to the United States and were never slaves at all. Many of the Creole musicians were trained in Paris with classical instruments, which is why jazz is so associated with wind instruments and the acoustic Bass (Cello). So some could argue I suppose that jazz is pretentious - a corrupted offshoot of classical music. I personally like it much better than classical, though.

Last edited by Strangelove; 04-19-2010 at 06:14 AM.