View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pretentious music??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Couldn't you argue that most music is really pretentious and there are only the few who are really great artists? In that sense, the others are just pretending to be artists. :P

... In and of itself, there is nothing wrong with pretense in music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Here in Eastern Europe the word pretentious as it applies to music, simply means that it is a kind of music requiring technical prowess. There is nothing positive or negative about it. It just is what it is. This is also the first place I've heard the word without the negative connotation.
I think you guys have hit the spot that I've found perplexing. That's it ... why should alleged pretension in music be necessarily a bad thing? At best it's inspired, inspiring, entertaining and can take you off on a fantastic journey.

As I said, I like lots of music that's called pretentious. When I put myself in the artists' shoes I imagine them in a studio, beating the song into shape, which is something all musos who play arranged music do. Why not add an orchestra to make dramatic or showband music sound grandiose if you are lucky enough to be able to access the lushness and power an orchestra can provide?

If artists like to play three chords with distortion and shout crudiities or if they want to go the full monty and create a massive pseudo-orchestral piece, or if they want to adopt a quasi-alien stage look, in a way it's all the same thing - just doing stuff that gives them good feelings.

Henry Cow is my flavour of the month - just bought the box set. The music knocks me out even if some of the lyrics are dramatic with a presumption that we know our Greek mythology (uh, I'm a big fan of the original 1981 Clash of the Titans) - from Beautiful as the Moon:
Careworn and all alone - First days
Charon the unborn - Days erased
Death: Venus unfurled -
The world we lost we found - spoiled
No sun No birds No stars No form

Evened we are fallen all before time
Lief lorn we unlearn all crime
Lives - levelled as lies
A star mourns souls ungraved - ignored
Slow wheels: Mira. Algol. Maia
It's pretentious and I don't care, especially when I hear the compelling emotion Dagmar puts into it. Nor do I care that they were crazily idealistic Commies (I'm sure they meant well). There's there's Chris Cutler's pretentious-looking drumming that's hugely entertaining to watch and listen to. Bring it on, I say :)