View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
lol ... the 1950s shackles were on pretty tight from all reports. Can't say I know personally since I would have been too busy being toilet-trained at the time. Hard to know where things will go - globalisation, rapid population growth with changing demographics, the rise of religious fervour, climate change and environmental degradation, technology, increasing media influence, the rise of reality TV, talkback shows and interactivity.

Maybe we'll end up just banging on idiophones again?
It's interesting that with all the changes in the industry, and complaints of its failing and losing money, that Jason Mraz tune I'm Yours was still able to spend over a year in the top 100 from what I remember.You need to have a strong industry to be able to do that.

Yeah, the idiophones are nice. Isn't the drum set an idiophone?

The arrangements are really the things I miss about popular music. Even in the seventies you had the bands with the horn arrangements, and all that disco and soul jazz with those (crappy) orchestrations; nothing compares to the sappy pop orchestrations of the 60s though. Moody Blues, Herb Albert and The Fifth Dimension. (That is where FM Muzak began. Fifth Dimension meets Montavani.) But I do enjoy that stuff. Some of it was classic Steely Dan, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, EW&F and I'll even put in a prop for TSOP. It was good enough for Soul Train.

like this one; I think it's Harvey Mason on drums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pitnJlcv4

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 04-15-2010 at 07:31 PM.