View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
You're right (or was that your write?) . . .

It does work both ways.

I think the later is the point. Kenny G had nothing new to offer. And in of of itself there is nothing 'wrong' with Kenny G's music. How many Herb Albert albums were sold? But it was an easy sell for a market that was already there.

The ability to cultivate a market for music and ideas that are not in the mainstream is a different story. I think that was part of what Miles was saying. It could have been simple warning to watch his business contracts and here we are reading into it. Whether or not anyone believes that music is sacred of their music is sacred has nothing to do with it. The issue is what Miles would have thought about his music. I don't think he saw it as something frivolous, and I know he wasn't in it for the money. :)
I know that you're not going to believe this, But when I was a kid I played the trumpet. (fifth grade) I had every single Herb Alpert album! LOL! Also, all of Al Hurt's albums,. and The Baja Marimba Band. I still listen to them now and then. I still like them! They make me feel young! Just simple memories of my youth!

Here is my fav TJB tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMqw...eature=related I love this stuff!!!