View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I liked "A musician has a sacred oath to open up doors for his predecessors" better :) If you squint and turn your head sideways it makes perfect sense, where legacies are given greater meaning when someone carries on the work ...

You're right (or was that your write?) . . .

It does work both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I think he did. There was clearly a lot of people ready to take up what KG had to offer. Imagine what the world would be like if that many people were primed to hear avant garde music ...
I think the later is the point. Kenny G had nothing new to offer. And in of of itself there is nothing 'wrong' with Kenny G's music. How many Herb Albert albums were sold? But it was an easy sell for a market that was already there.

The ability to cultivate a market for music and ideas that are not in the mainstream is a different story. I think that was part of what Miles was saying. It could have been simple warning to watch his business contracts and here we are reading into it. Whether or not anyone believes that music is sacred of their music is sacred has nothing to do with it. The issue is what Miles would have thought about his music. I don't think he saw it as something frivolous, and I know he wasn't in it for the money. :)