View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
He said Jazz isn't about the music, its a lifestyle, an attitude, an ethic . An approach to life..
If I was being cynical I'd say that those claiming that jazz buffs are like religious followers were on to something. Certainly the intensity is there.

Really, by that definition, it's sounding more like a philosophical doctrine. Or, given the exclusivity, maybe more like a men's club or Freemasonry.

For a non-jazzer like me, it's all about the music. I take "jazz" literally and my take on the spirit of jazz is "to jazz things up". Attitude and instinct play a role - the refusal to be staid, to be "square". Over the years, the jazzing up of things has become a fine art with huge levels of coordination, dexterity and control required to get anywhere near the state-of-the-art.

Yet, impressive and fun as that stuff is, the jazz that I like best doesn't rely on that stuff alone but has a sense of lyricism, it tells a story, it takes you on a journey, at times it's playful (something I don't hear happening enough of in jazz these days) ... it talks to you ... and with the yummiest of sonics.