View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HARDWARE DIY/MODS/REPAIRS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by romenydrummer64 View Post
I'm going to completely refinish my drums, and as a part of the cosmetic changes, I want to fabricate my own tom suspension mounts. My set is a beginner's 5 piece Ludwig Accent CS Custom that I have added 8" and 10" Toms to. My 8" tom came with a Ludwig factory suspension mount already on it. I like the way it sounds, so I want to make all the other drums sound as good. The 2 challenges I face are as follows:

1) My tom mounts are for tube style arms, thus there's a hole in my 10", 12", & 13" toms.
I thought about using either wood putty to fill in the hole, or just covering it up with some aluminum tape and making cosmetic adjustments to make it look right.

2) I looked at suspension mounts on musiciansfriend.com, and was impressed with the TAMA design as shown below. I want the challenge of designing and building, as well as not spending as much money to buy what I can readily make.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Tom?sku=583009

Does anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
Unless you have a very good shop and machine skills, would really suggest just buying new or used mounts. They aren't terribly expensive. Mounts need some fairly precise measurements or else you can put your drum out of round with an improperly sized mount. Plus, without really good skills and equipment, homemade mounts will never look as good as factory made mounts.