View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: George Kollias here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kollias View Post
Believe me, i never use triggers outside Nile anymore.Only cause i love having dynamics on my kicks and i love the natural kick sound.
Triggering is a part of music today, i've sen more and more drummers using tiggers on every drum no matter how fast they play.Heavy Metal Drummers,Rock Drummers, Pop drummers...To me that's a bit sad, like Sound Replacing in the studio.I prefer accoustic drums 100 times.
Not that I like to name names (Joey Jordison), but I've seen some metal drummers that trigger literally every drum and cymbal surface on their kit. It definitely is sad, and to be honest I'm not really a huge fan of the sound of triggers in general. But if you're playing 250bpm there's just no way to avoid it, I suppose.

To me, my problem with triggers and whatever else has nothing to do with whether or not it's "cheating", just the sound it makes. I've heard drummers on albums that weren't that fast where the whole kit's been run through filters and processors and it really sounds like sh!t.

Also, and forgive me if I'm mistaken here George, but I've heard that some drummers use triggers SPECIFICALLY to remove dynamics. For example, that gravity blasting can be a problem because the upstroke won't have the same power as the down, so the snare is triggered so it sounds the same both ways. I can't do a gravity blast to save my life, but that's just one example I've heard.