Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Destroyone

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Destroyone, I don't agree with some of your evaluations but that was an entertaining read :)

Couldn't agree more. However, no matter who's calling the shots or twiddling the knobs you have to give credit to the humble tub thumper who's doing the actual part. I think you undersold JB there. He really did play with a pleasing amount of oomph and groove, and it wasn't all someone else's vision.

His major appeal to me is his feel. For a big hitter JB had lovely touch. He passes the acid test of a drummer - did he make the songs feel good? Yes he did! [sic]. Most of his tracks are a pleasure to listen to - either within the band sound or just focusing on the drums. If there's a rock drummer who's playing could be described as "sexy" it would be JB on those first two albums.

He was usually tidier than Mitch and funkier than Ian Paice, although those guys were more nimble. Different qualities, all enjoyable. Ian, Mitch, JB and Aynsley Dunbar were my first drum idols in the 70s. I don't feel JB can be compared with Billy C - different genres. Actually, I'm not sure anyone can be compared with Billy C in his with Mahavishnu period - that was white magic.
Yes, I quite agree. Dunbar is right up there at the top of my list. I saw Cobham with Mahavishnu live in Central Park in 70 or 71 and they blew me away. Billy made me just sit down and be very very still. Like a sponge still....I agree with no comparisons with Billy, and I'm not comparing him to JB, as you said, there is no one quite like Mr C.

And I'm glad you were entertained by the read. Somewhere around here I have a copy of "A Thunder Of Drums" and I think I'll re-read it on the plane. I want to check out the rest of this forum's content when I have a little more time after my wife and I return from from vacation.

This looks like an articulate educational discussion board that I can learn more than a few things about, I'm sure of it. Oh, and lest I forget my manners...

R.I.P. JB You are truly a legendary mentor for millions.

Last edited by Destroyone; 03-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.