Thread: Meg White
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jack White Defends Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
JP, I am much older than you and no doubt have listened far more broadly than you have. So if you spent more time trying to unlock the reason why some very simple music is highly effective artistically perhaps you would understand it more? :-P

However, we have visceral responses to music that is too often underestimated. I have heard enough death metal to know that it has precious few of the qualities I seek in music. I would suggest the same with you and catchy poprock. There is a reson why I know of no middle aged women who are keen on death metal. To us it feels like an assault.

I see death metal and its derivatives as being the musical equivalent to slasher films, which I also find ugly.

But I'm not all about beauty and tra la la sweetness. I am fine with musical ugliness if I see strong elements of originality, lyrical quality, strong mood creation, interesting timbres, enjoyale grooves, dynamic variation and content/form synergies. I see few of those qualities in modern metal. Tool are the exception - great band. RATM can be enjoyable too because they groove, even if they don't have a lot of different grooves.
I don't want to start a debate on heavy music as this thread is not about that at all but JPW is correct, if you spend time with metal heads, you will become one yourself. At first I started liking the riffs and music more than anything else even though I can't stand death metal most of the time because it sounds like noise. Occasionally you will get some awesome riff then the drummer comes along and spoils it playing an awful blast beat. However I love heavy music and after a period of time of being exposed to it, as much as I hated the vocalists (due to their style) it grew on me and I realised that that becomes part of the mood and atmosphere they are trying to create and a 'normal' singing voice just wouldn't cut it in that situation.

Here Polly try some Ayreon and honestly let me know your opinion, beautiful music with heavy in moderation but with nice vocals too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Agn...om=PL&index=34

As for catchy pop songs, my status on those is usually I will hear 1 out of a dozen that I quite like, that song will probably find its way onto my phone and then within a couple of weeks another will hit me and the other one will get forgotten.

Yeah Jeff you're right we know that Meg isn't the brains behind the Stripes and Jack is pretty awesome actually in his vision and musically a quite gifted fellow especially in the latter. All he needed was a puppet whom he could tell what to do and not get any question about it. For that, Meg fits the stripes perfectly. The thing is, she is very stiff and if she just learned learned to loosen up and position her rack tom properly ;) she could improve the bands overall image too.