View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Weather Report did their bit with Birdland. Any other takers?
While I totally agree with you, I think that there's a problem in that Birdland has an enormous hook, and "serious" jazzers eschew hooks. I'm not even sure serious jazzers consider Weather Report a jazz band owing to their "pop" sensibilities. I heard Peter Erskine playing the 2 and 4 on his snare once...

But in all seriousness, isn't there a natural tension between establishing a hook (that the masses would get and, more importantly, buy) and leaving it wide open for improvisation? I don't know how you'd go about bridging that gap. And unlikely that a memorable melody to the masses could be a nearly non-repeating atonal jumble of clams (sorry, couldn't resist! But the point is there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Please...you could have Megadeath overdub on that thing and it wouldn't matter.
Ha ha! LOL!
Quote:
These jazz guys get a little too precious in my opinion. They need to drink a cold beer and listen to some punk rock, try to learn something, you know?
That's kind of my take as well. The earliest days of jazz were set against some unpleasant realities (and boredom) similar to what brought about rock and even punk rock.

Last edited by MikeM; 03-25-2010 at 05:04 AM.