View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Pat Metheny on Kenny G and other Jazz greats

In Kenny's defense, he wasn't too sure of doing the song to begin with.

The "duet" was produced by David Foster who also recorded the Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole duet. Kenny G stated at the time,"...I didn't want to spoil the original. I said, 'Whatever we do, if we're not going to make it better, let's throw it away and we won't do it.' So (Foster) guaranteed that it would be better, and I hope that we did a good job on it."[18] Some columnists countered the criticisms suggesting such a recording would bring classic jazz to a wider audience.[19] Nevertheless, Kenny G fans considered the live performance of this duet with Armstrong on a video taped backdrop a "show stopper."[20] Some pop critics reviewed the album Classics in the Key of G as possibly his best specifically because of his choice of classic covered songs.[21] Kenny G has stated that all the proceeds from "What A Wonderful World" go to his Kenny G Miracles Foundation which "funnel(s) the money to charities to purchase musical instruments and to supplement funding for the arts in schools."[22]